Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Road-side stop

I stopped by the side of the road, hot, sweat dripping down my sunglasses, and swung my leg over the seat. Instead of laying my bike down and going to the weeds I simply leaned my weight back on the cross bar. I pulled down my riding shorts and started to pee. The cars on the highway, not more than 3 feet behind me, felt good as I stared into the thick Illinois maple trees that made up the foliage beside the highway. The woods were thick. Movement attracted my eyes to the base of a tree right in front of me. A rabbit darted to and fro between the tree trunks. I was pleased with the natural nature of my stop. I grabbed a granola bar and mounted my bike. Only 50 more miles.

A glimpse of a road-side stop. They're quite common on our daily journeys. They often allow us to notice things we didn't notice on our bikes. And so we're wondering: what if we all allowed our schedules to be interrupted once in a while and took time to notice something. Just try stopping your car on the side of the high way one time on the way home from work and noticing the trash on the side of the road. Inspect it. And see what it teaches you.

No comments:

Post a Comment