Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happiness grows in valleys

Things aren't always easy for anyone, ever. But if they could be, they would probably be that way for someone in happy valley.

They were certainly that way to everyone riding to Happy Valley from Shamokin today. It was perfect, too, as yesterday was not exactly the easiest. Now don't misunderstand, Happy Valley is called a valley for a reason, and we climbed that reason and many other reasons like it on the way there, but as a whole the ride was pleasant. Most of it was through pristine forests in the Bald Eagle and other state parks. The parts of the ride not through the state parks were spent in a valley between two mountains. It was beautiful. It also rained a good amount, which was great. It really cooled us off.

And so we got to Happy Valley in good spirits. And as it turns out, Happy Valley got its name during the Great Depression: it was a sufficient and happy place for the people who lived in the area. This was primarily due to the agriculture in the area and Pennsylvania State University, which is about 20 minutes down the road--driving, that is. Turns out it has nothing to do with Penn. St. football. I guess it's also common for people to just stay around their whole lives. People might leave for a while--you know, go to college at Penn. St.--and then come back. And obviously there are plenty of people who leave, but Pastor Dave and his wife (the family we're staying with) said that a lot of people have grown up together and all know when new people come in. They're all very welcoming, though, which might be rare for a close-knit area. Who knows.

Anyway,Footage should be coming tomorrow.

Some other quick updates: We're getting in better shape. Feeling good about our legs and climbing hills. Our bikes are holding up well. Tonight life is good.

A story:

Walking out of Pizza Hut yesterday a man, age 30, walked up to me and wished me luck on my ride. Knowing he didn't know what I was riding for, or anything else about me, I thanked him. He proceeded to tell me about his bike--a Honda...crotch rocket, something or other. I guessed he was a bike enthusiast. I guessed right. He went on to tell me--without my asking, though I really enjoyed his story--about his recent life.

A few weeks ago he was clocked by a police officer going 210 MPH. on his bike. A few jokes regarding the incident were exchanged (e.g. Me: "wow, that kinda puts a damper on things, huh?" Him: Laughs "Ya, that's why it's still in the garage."), and he told me that the ticket cost him $2,800. He then told me that in order to pay the ticket he took a sledge hammer to his garage door and was in the process of collecting the insurance on it. He said he filmed it and was going to send it to the insurance company after he collected the money and switched companies...sucks to be State Farm. Hmmm. Ok. I was just kidding about the garage door part. But really, that's quite a ticket.

But wait, there's more: he's got some down time, as he can't drive as of now, so he's working on putting some nitrous oxide on the bike. Now for those of you who haven't seen The Fast And The Furious, basically what nitrous oxide is is a speed burst. He was making his bike faster...but not too much faster, he said, because otherwise he would wheelie backward and crack his "bean," I think was the word he used. He mentioned doing that when he was younger and it not ending up so well...I agreed with him on that one.

Probably one of the more interesting people I've ever met. And I probably haven't gotten more information from anyone else in such a short amount of time. The conversation didn't last more than a minute--Andy and Morgan had already started riding up the road. He seemed really cool...though I can't say I would ever get into any vehicle with him.


And I would have time for one more but I've been trying to get this camera to upload stuff for you and it doesn't quite seem to be working...sorry.

More to come tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Ahh my school!! Seems like you guys really enjoyed yourself. Still in my prayers! Be safe!

    :)

    ReplyDelete