Friday, July 16, 2010

Starting a new chapter: Leaving Yellowstone and good friends behind

From Yellowstone it was on to the Grand Tetons National Park. That meant splitting ways with Leon and Mike, two friends who have shared part of our journey with us. And two friends that we will hopefully get to spend plenty of more time with in the coming years. They went north into Montana and we went through the south exit of the park.



The day off was marvelous. Grand Teton was not only a bit smaller--meaning less tourists--but maybe even a little prettier. And if nothing else it carried with it the promise of at least a few days off. We had a friend there.



We spent the night catching up with her and her family. We went hiking the next day, and are now in the process of staying at a log cabin that would sell for a few million dollars if the national park would sell it. It's right in front of the Tetons. So instead of anything else, here are some questions:

To what extent does a structure that someone has given a lot of themselves toward educate you about them?

Why do people who don't like the same symbols (or subcultural icons) as we do not immediately strike our fancy? or do they?

Why is beauty so expensive? And how does beauty affect those who can't afford it differently than those who can?

does love mean to watch someone die (physically, mentally, spiritually)?

What is home to you?

Does capitalism fail when everyone becomes so specialized they stop looking into what the other areas are feeding them?

Do you not connect with any one specific question when people give you a list of questions that could require a lot of thought? Yes.

Also. Matt is going to have a go at writing some short non-fiction stories regarding different people and experiences he has encountered on the trip thus far. So in the next few weeks, if a short story pops up it will be from experiences encountered on the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Those are some interesting questions you have. As you pointed out, only a few questions really connect with me. I'll stick with those ones.

    I don't think love means to watch someone die [physically, mentally, or spiritually.] 'Watch' to me is such a passive term. If I love someone, I would not be watching if they were dying in any way, unless something big was holding me back. I think love would be dying with them, if nothing else. Love is so complicated, but I feel like it would be more active [again, unless something big is stopping that.]

    What is home to me. It's peace. It's truth. It's when I can hang out with my friends and be myself, and say what I want to say without fear of being judged or rejected. It's being with people who love me for who I am, and not for who they want to see me as.

    There's probably more, but that's all for now. I hope you guys are safe on your journey. I can't wait to hear all your exciting stories in detail when you get back!

    Godspeed

    ReplyDelete